- Considerable Development Potential
- Most Private Setting
- Steeped in History
DEMESNE, LOUGHGLYNN F45 YN22
FORMER LOUGHGLYNN CONVENT COMPLEX
The Complex comprises of Dillon House, Strickland House & Courtyard, The Chapel, The Cottage & Farm Buildings,
Boundary Walls, Paths & Steps on Grounds c. 19.63 Acres including Gardens & Woodlands
- Strickland House – c. 443 m2 – 2 storey house.
- Dillon House – c. 1728 m2 – 2 storey over basement period property.
- Church Building – c. 1423 m2– 3 storey over basement, built 1959.
- Courtyard buildings – c. 342 m2 include old dairy and stores
- Caretaker’s Cottage and adjoining garages – c. 112 m2 – restored 2015 –
2 no. bedrooms, kitchen/livingroom, office/3rd bedroom, shower/toilet, guest toilet.
Solid fuel central heating
- Other farm buildings comprise old stables, cowbyre, chicken shed and piggery.
- The main house was built by Richard Dillon between 1713 – 1737 and comprises a fine Georgian building, Palladian in style.
- The property was acquired by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary and run as a convent school teaching various skills such as lace making & domestic science as well as establishing a dairy farm (renowned cheeses makers).
- From 1973 the complex operated as a Nursing Home until 2003.
- A development company purchased the property from the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary with plans for a Luxury Hotel approved by Roscommon County Council (03-582).
- Following a period of neglect the present owners purchased the property in 2014.
- They have carried out remedial/preventive works on the property.
Elegant and fine structure with many original features retained including:
- Ashlar limestone walls with cut stone quoins
- Stone lintels and stone sills
- Stepped stone eaves and high level cornice at parapet
- Cast iron downpipes
- Stone chimney stacks with stepped copings
Protected structure: NIAH reference – 31920002
Mains water, electric, 3 phase power, septic tank.
The Complex enjoys a most private setting with independent gated accesses to the main buildings and farmyard area. The grounds containing c. 19.63 acres are in one plot surrounding the existing building and include woodlands and gardens.
Central location approx. 1 hour from Galway/ Sligo & Westport, Loughglynn Village c. 3 kms, Ballaghaderreen c. 9 kms, Castlerea c. 11kms, Knock Airport c. 24 kms & Knock Shrine c. 29 kms
Excellent sports facilities nearby including Golf, Fishing, Shooting, Suck Valley & Lung/Lough Gara Walk Ways.
Immediate viewing recommended and strictly by prior appointment with the Sole Agents.
From Loughglynn Village continue on the Ballaghaderreen road (R325), c. 1 km take the road right and proceed c. 1 km to the gated entrance in front of you.
The property may also be accessed from the Loughglynn/Castlerea route.
- ID: 13347
- Published: September 12, 2022
- Last Update: September 12, 2022
- Views: 617